(Kinda Late) BLOGMAS: My Best Books of 2019


This is my first Blogmas post and I've wanted to do a collective post for every week of December but I didn't have much free time during the first few weeks. So I just decided to post all of my best picks on the very last day of December - making this my last post for the year 2019.

My blog's also under construction for a bit since I'm giving this a new look once 2020 comes. I've been tweaking this layout to my liking for quite a long time now and I'm almost there.

Anyway here are my best books of 2019.


    
01. Best YA: We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal. I said this before, this book got me interested AGAIN in YA fantasy. It's why I plan on reading YA fantasy again next year.
02. Soul Destroyer/Huge Book Hangover: Rebel by Marie Lu. I mean.. I waited years for this. And it was so worth it that it had a tight grip on me after I finished it.
03. Best Cover Model: Twisted Bonds by Cora Reilly. I love this cover and its model because she gives off the Kiara Falcone - the female MC - vibe from the looks to the color red. Also, it's romance. Hardly any female models are on the covers for this genre.
04. Best Rom-Com: Girl Meets Duke Series by Tessa Dare. Just posting the cover of the first book but I REALLY LOVE THIS SERIES. I'll be posting a series review once the next (and last, I think) book's out.
05. Best Dark, Suspense, Twisted Read: The Camorra Chronicles by Cora Reilly. Just posting the first book's cover like the GMD by Tessa Dare above.. ANYWAY, this is a mafia romance series and of course, it's dark AND twisted (literally the title of the books say it) but I wouldn't categorize it as suspenseful even though some moments *could be*. Still, I LOVE this series.

     
06. Best Historical Read: Circe by Madeline Miller. I hardly read historical books (most YA fantasy are historical though) but this one was enjoyable and I do love mythology-retellings. 
07. Best Contemporary Book: If I'm Being Honest by Emily Wibberley & Austin Siegemund-Broka. HANDS DOWN ONE OF MY FAVORITES THIS YEAR.
08. Best First Work: The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty. One of the best books - fantasy especially - I've read this year too
09. Favorite Series: Oxford Series by Lauren Layne. I was actually torn between this and Stiletto but but BUT... this series is the reason why I got into LL's books more. I first read this (even though this is a spin-off of Stiletto) and I got really attached. 
10. Best SciFi: The Similars by Rebecca Hanover. 
11. Most Expected Book of 2019: Ehh. Aside from Rebel, a lot of my anticipated 2019 reads were surprisingly underwhelming for me. 

  
12. Best Surprise/Discovery: Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus.
13. Favorite Fantasy/PNR: House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig. I wouldn't say this is one of my best reads BUT this was really a unique and magical take on The Twelve Dancing Princesses. 
14. Favorite Indie Author: I think JLA is an indie author? I don't really know... I mean, I'm not really knowledgeable about this one. 
15. Best Romance Author: Lauren Layne. I feel like everyone who's a frequent reader of my blog knows this.
16. Most Original/Atypical Story/Plot: Mmmmm.... The YA (mostly fantasy) books I've read this year. I'm not gonna name them one by one.
17. Best "New to Me" Author: Hafsah FaizalCora ReillySiera Maley, I didn't include the authors I was already familiar with (maybe last year or the years before that) but then just read their book this year.
18. Most Read Author in 2019: Lauren Layne. This is because I decided to read the rest of her books.

   
    
19. Best Covers: The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas /  The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren / Passion on Park Avenue by Lauren Layne / If I'm Being Honest by Emily Wibberley & Austin Siegemund-Broka /  The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman / Descendant of the Crane by Joan He / The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine / Romanov by Nadine Brandes (NOTE: Twisted Bonds would've been here too if I didn't already mentioned it above. Also, these books - except If I'm Being Honest - aren't the best I've read this year. Just their covers I found are pretty.)

    
20. The Most Beautiful/Powerful Writing: Long Shot by Kennedy Ryan. My heart was so heavy the entire time reading this but also so hopeful.
21. Best LGBTQ: Dating Sarah Cooper by Siera Maley. I enjoyed Maley's books and I can't wait to read more by this author (I already have her other books).
22. Best Audiobook: None. I haven't tried audiobooks. 
23. Best Plot Twist: The Similars by Rebecca Hanover and The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty. Kinda a tie between both.
24. Best Male Main Character: Archer Hale from Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan. I just wanna give him the biggest hug and let him know how loved he is. 

   
25. Best Female Main Character: Trinity Marrow from Storm and Fury by Jennifer L. Armentrout. It's not just Trin though, I've come across a LOT of amazing female characters this year.
26. Best Friend's Recommendation: My best friend was too busy with life to recommend - let alone read - me anything lol. 
27. Best Ugly Cry: All Your Perfects by Colleen Hoover. It's actually a tie between this and Archer's Voice.. also Rebel (because reasons). 
28. Best Book to Make a Movie: One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus. Not really a big fan of book-to-movie adaptations but if I get to pick one, it would be this. Though this will fit more as a TV show. 
29. Best Swoon Book: Yours in Scandal by Lauren Layne. ONE OF MY FAVORITE LL BOOKS EVER. I'll be posting my review soon.
30. The Best of the Bests: The ones I mentioned here.

31. Goodreads Challenge: 143/100 books!! I'm pretty proud of this. I actually finished this challenge waaaay early. It's why I read 43 extra books.



And this is my last post for 2019. 
HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!


8 comments:

  1. I haven't read If I'm Being Honest, but did hear it's pretty darn good reading! Still have to read it, and someday, Romanov too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm Being Honest was a surprise to me. I've seen it around my GR feed, people loving it, and it was really worth picking up!

      Delete
  2. OMG! When will my hold for Rebel come through!!! I can't wait for that final chapter in June and Day's story. I adored both Wibberly/Siegemund-Broka's books, and I am super excited for the next one. McManus became a favorite of mine with her debut, and I was glad to see no sophomore slump here. Lauren Layne was also my most read. I have read her books, here and there, over the years, but I went hard on audiobooks, and I managed to listen/read 17 of her books this year. That's crazy! Long Shot was, wow, so emotional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 17??? WOW. Her books are really easily to fly through to be honest. I'm excited for you to get a hold of Rebel!

      Delete
  3. Ooh I still need to read Circe. And I'm a big fan of Two Can Keep A Secret! I thought the Similars was pretty good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Circe was pretty interesting. I think the author captured Circe's character/personality based on the mythology nicely and weaved a magical story around her life.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing so much by Lauren Layne! I’ve really fallen behind with her releases and need to get caught up. Long Shot showed up often in my Blogmas posts. That book just slayed me. Archer Hale! 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long Shot was emotionally-challenging for me but I loved it just as much. I'm just in love with LL's books. Definitely my go-to romance author <3

      Delete