Review: THE PRENUP by Lauren Layne



Title: The Prenup
Author: Lauren Layne
Publication Date: June 11, 2019
Genre: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon
Rating: ★★★ (3 stars)
My name is Charlotte Spencer and, ten years ago, I married my brother's best friend. I haven't seen him since.

Charlotte Spencer grew up on the blue-blooded Upper East Side of Manhattan but she never wanted the sit-still-look-pretty future her parents dictated for her. Enter Colin Walsh, her brother's quiet, brooding, man-bun-sporting best friend, and with him a chance to escape.

He's far from Charlotte's dream guy as but they need each other for one thing: marriage. One courthouse wedding later, Charlotte's inheritance is hers to start a business in San Francisco and Irish-born Colin has a Green Card.

Ten years later, Colin drops a bombshell: the terms of their prenup state that before either can file for divorce, they have to live under the same roof for three months.

Suddenly this match made in practicality is about to take on whole new meaning...


I wasn't really aware that Lauren Layne was about to release another book until I had to do a Top Ten Tuesday post about the books I was looking forward to for the second-half of 2019. I just read her Passion on Park Avenue (read this in May) not too long ago and I was surprised to know that she was releasing ANOTHER book which is this.

And this is Lauren Layne. One of my favorite go-to romance authors so of course, I had to pick it up and read.



The Prenup was one of the books I was excited to read because I love the sound of it: married couple haven't seen each other in ten years decided to get a divorce but thanks to the prenup, they had to live under the same roof for three months first. I mean.. that is definitely one of the tropes I find amusing and interesting in romance.

HOWEVER, this was not one of those. I won't give away anything, just the fact that I didn't really ship these two. Why? Because it felt wrong. Their situation was such a mess and it did't even involve the problem that Colin might get deported. My heart felt nothing but heavy angst and my mind with multiple question marks because the slightest bit of a romantic feeling that erupts when these two are together felt wrong. Like, I wanted for these two to get together badly but not to the point where I'm gushing over them together like how I do on other fictional couples I come across. Their situation just didn't sit well with me. The only thing I could say was that I felt bad for Charlotte a lot. A lot.

Lauren Layne's Author's Note was really sweet though but this wasn't really her best. Maybe it's just me. All I felt the entire time was angst and this heavy weight on my chest. This didn't give me the same spark and wistful feeling her other books have given me. I still ended up giving this three stars because I love Charlotte's fighting spirit.




No comments:

Post a Comment