TTT #20: Some Of My 2019 Discoveries


Going from new-to-me authors down to some personal stuff. I wanted to post some things that aren't just bookish/book-related because I don't really go through stuff outside of books like the apps/products/events/just other stuff. I do go on blog-hopping every once in a while but that's about it. So I tried going on a different route for this week's topic: just some of my 2019 discoveries in GENERAL.

I categorized this post to five sections and I had to narrow the entries down to two because this is just a little highlight of what I discovered last year. I've discovered a ton but these are just some that stood out to me the most.

NEW-TO-ME AUTHORS

 
01. Hafsah Faizal  //  02. Karen M. McManus
I've encountered a lot of new authors last year but these two stood out the most for me. I've said it before: Hafsah Faizal with her We Hunt the Flame reminded me how much I enjoyed and loved YA Fantasy which prompted me to read more this year. And Karen M. McManus got me interested in reading more Thriller/Mystery books thanks to her Two Can Keep a Secret and One of Us is Lying (I've read the One of Us is Next and a review is on its way here).

MOVIES

 
03. Parasite directed by Bong Joon-ho  //  04. Portrait of a Lady on Fire directed by Céline Sciamma
Hollywood who???? HANDS DOWN TWO OF THE BEST MOVIES I'VE WATCHED. EVER. Foreign films really hit different and I'm happy a lot of people actually loved these two. And here's a quote from Bong Joon-ho's Golden Globes speech: "Once you overcome the 1-inch-tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films." -- if that ain't right. There's so many good outside-of-Hollywood movies out there and I might just make a post for that someday.

APPS

 
05. Homescapes  //  06. Unfold
I hardly play games on my phone but there's just something about Homescapes that got me hooked. It's one of those games like Candy Crush BUT what made this fun and addicting for me is that I get to design this dude's housemansion. I found this enjoyable to pass time. As for Unfold, I just discovered this when I was looking for apps for my IG/Messenger stories. I don't really put effort into designing my stories but I wanted to put my pics in a collage (rather than posting 1 story = 1 pic) and make it look minimal and TA-DA. Here's the app for it (though I'm still trying to find other apps for this).

MUSIC

 
07. Malibu Nights by LANY  //  08. As She Pleases by Madison Beer
So these aren't 2019 releases (Malibu Nights was in 2018 while As She Pleases was 2017) but I just paid undivided attention to these albums and ugh.. LOVED IT. LANY's one of my favorite indie bands and I just discovered Madison Beer because of this album and I immediately love her voice.

TV SERIES

 
09. HSM: The Musical: The Series  //  10. Hotel del Luna
I was hesitant to start HSMTMTS (AN ABSOLUTE MOUTHFUL OF A TITLE) because HSM was really dear to me but I kept seeing it in my YouTube homepage all because I watched ONE TRAILER of it. And also this GIF (I'm soft....) And while I did watch the pilot episode of the show last year, I didn't continue the series UNTIL my friend played some of the songs from the show when we were hanging out and I though "okay that sounds good" so this year, I'll be watching it. It seems worthy giving it a second chance. As for Hotel del Luna, same with HSMTMTS, I only watched the pilot ep because I got so busy and K-dramas run around 40 or so minutes per episode so... *cries* But I'm determined to watch this one too because 1) I love IU (the main character) and 2) THE PLOT SOUNDS REALLY GOOD.

BONUS: Not discoveries but more like realizations..

11. I enjoy reading more when I read because I want to not because I have to. I've said this in a Top Ten Tuesday post last year and this really did help me enjoy reading books. The "I have to" refers to me needing to read a certain book because everyone's talking about it or hyping it up and I don't wanna be left behind.
12. I blog when I can. And I feel happy and free about it. I used to see blogging before as something I have to do everyday (or almost everyday) and it did nothing but put so much pressure on me. Last year, I managed to balance blogging and other activities. If I'm busy, I find it okay not to post. I don't want to push myself into being present here all the time when in real life I have so much workload to.

Phew. AND THAT'S IT.
The last two were a bit repetitive from this post but then again, these were important realizations I had since I got back to blogging properly since June 2019.

*** Can I also note that I'm very slow in replying to comments as of now since it's back to school for me for the second semester and I'm still settling in back here my off-campus apartment. I'll try to reply to everyone this weekend.

How about you? 
Any 2019 discoveries you've had?


22 comments:

  1. Interesting, although they're not all bookish, but still...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know. I already did a Blogmas post though and that post kinda summed up my 2019 so I felt like it gets repetitive if I post some bookish stuff again for this week. So I did a little spin on it.

      Delete
  2. Great post! The Unfold app is so awesome :) I also really loved LANY's Malibu Nights. All the feels �� I love your realisations as well. I feel like we always put so much pressure on ourselves, especially when surrounded by all these feeds to constantly put out content or to read the newest books asap, but that pressure just takes the fun out of it. Doing things at your own comfortable pace is defo the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally decided to listen to that album after I keep hearing Malibu Nights being played a lot. Right? Reading gets so much more enjoyable when you're not putting pressure on yourself. It also makes you connect more to the story/characters (for my part anyway) and I think that's good.

      Delete
  3. Coincidentally, I was just watching a BookTuber’s video yesterday and she was talking about her top movies of 2019 and Parasite was her #1 pick! I’d never even heard of it before yesterday. I don’t think I saw a single new release movie in 2019. Whomp whomp.

    Unfold sounds interesting and I’ll definitely be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SO RECOMMEND THAT MOVIE - especially if you love or enjoy the thriller/mystery genre. I'm not a big reader of this genre but watching a bunch of movies/show that falls under this, it got me interested in picking up the books too. Oh and Unfold is a pretty AND clean app. The latter made me love it.

      Delete
  4. Ha ha. I see ads for HomeScapes ALL the time on my favorite game - Boggle With Friends. It definitely looks intriguing, but I can't get hooked on any more games. Words With Friends and Boggle With Friends are already so addicting!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I even have only one game on my phone because I couldn't keep up with the others. It also takes a lot of space (esp those games that keep updating and adding more weight to their app's size).

      Delete
  5. Glad you made these discoveries. You don't want to get burnt out, whether from blogging too much, reading too much, or working too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Balancing it up is the way to go. If this isn't business/something you make a living of, then just take it easy. It's okay to find some me-time to yourself.

      Delete
  6. I loved One of Us is Lying!! I've been seeing Homescapes around and may have to download it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't plan to keep it for long but the game got addicting the moment I got a cat and started decorating the house *sigh

      Delete
  7. I'm really liking McManus' books. One Of Us Is Next is gonna be my next read, I think- can't wait to get to it!

    And I agree with you about reading when you *want* to, as opposed to it feeling like a chore. Couldn't agree more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank my Goodreads timeline for having that book all over it. I knew about One of Us is Lying the moment it was released but never read it but then I picked up Two Can Keep a Secret first and read it -- WITHOUT KNOWING IT'S BY THE SAME AUTHOR. And now I'm sure to read McManus' upcoming books. And glad you agree!

      Delete
  8. Isn't McManus fantastic! I am impatiently waiting to read her newest book. My library needs to giddy up on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's slowly becoming one of my favorites, I must say!

      Delete
  9. I still haven't watched Parasite yet, but I'm hoping to before Oscars night. So glad to see you loved it!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the movie without knowing what it was except for what the trailer showed me, and I'm glad I never watched any clip or ran into spoilers because it was really entertaining!

      Delete
  10. I like your bonus discoveries. I’m trying to be chill about reading and blogging. I love them and don’t want them to feel like work.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah like I had this blog not because it's my job nor I'm making an income out of it so I shouldn't be stressing over this. Same goes for reading.

      Delete
  11. Great post! Parasite and Portrait of a Lady on Fire are SO GOOD and I'm so glad you also watched them! LOL I adore Bong Joon-ho's quote -- I'm still hoping that Hollywood cancels their plans to remake Your Name, Train to Busan, and every successful non-American film out there.

    These are all great realizations! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THESE TWO ARE SO GOOD. I'm glad foreign films are slowly (oh-so-slowly) getting some recognition and appreciation (from the masses, let's ignore the biased award shows). I really want them to stay away from making a live-action out of these movies - especially YOUR NAME! Like no, Hollywood, stay the F away. WHY WOULD YOU DO A MASTERPIECE LIKE THIS??!!

      Delete