Can't Wait + WWW Wednesday [01.22.2020]

Can't Wait Wednesday hosted by: Wishful Endings
WWW Wednesday hosted by: Taking on a World of Words

I said from my previous post that I'll be merging these two weekly features into one post because I see no reason separating them when each of my entry for either feature is so short. Again, it's a waste of blog post. So I'm starting the first merged features' post with this one.

THIS WEDNESDAY, I CAN'T WAIT FOR...

Title: Mexican Gothic
Author: Silvia Moreno-Garcia
Publication Date: June 30, 2020
Genres: Adult, Historical, Fantasy, Gothic, Horror
Add to: Goodreads
From the author of Gods of Jade and Shadow comes a reimagining of the classic gothic suspense novel, a story about an isolated mansion in 1950s Mexico -- and the brave socialite drawn to its treacherous secrets.

He is trying to poison me. You must come for me, Noemí. You have to save me.

After receiving a frantic letter from her newly-wed cousin begging for someone to save her from a mysterious doom, Noemí Taboada heads to High Place, a distant house in the Mexican countryside. She’s not sure what she will find -- her cousin’s husband, a handsome Englishman, is a stranger, and Noemí knows little about the region.

Noemí is also an unlikely rescuer: She’s a glamorous debutante, and her chic gowns and perfect red lipstick are more suited for cocktail parties than amateur sleuthing. But she’s also tough, smart, and has an indomitable will, and she is not afraid: Not of her cousin’s new husband, who is both menacing and alluring; not of his father, the ancient patriarch who seems to be fascinated by Noemí; and not even of the house itself, which begins to invade Noemi’s dreams with visions of blood and doom.

Her only ally in this inhospitable abode is the family’s youngest son. Shy and gentle, he seems to want to help Noemí, but might also be hiding dark knowledge of his family’s past. For there are many secrets behind the walls of High Place. The family’s once colossal wealth and faded mining empire kept them from prying eyes, but as Noemí digs deeper she unearths stories of violence and madness.

And Noemí, mesmerized by the terrifying yet seductive world of High Place, may soon find it impossible to ever leave this enigmatic house behind.
I did not know this was ADULT. I've been looking for some ADULT FANTASY books and this one sounds really good. I mean, it's also labeled as HORROR so it's a win for me. And would you look at that cover? IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL.. and so HQ.

WHAT I RECENTLY READ

RUTHLESS KING
(Kings of Rittenhouse, #3) by Maya Hughes

I'm reading Maya Hughes' books starting with the Kings of Rittenhouse series because of the following reasons:
• I always see my Twitter mutuals talk about her characters and I didn't know who they were until they mentioned her name and well, I wanted to explore other authors' books
• I miss reading some college romance.
• I also miss sports romance ESPECIALLY HOCKEY (I love hockey)
• It's college + hockey so.....

Anyway this one was pretty enjoyable even though the plot that supported the trope wasn't something new to me. But still, the second-chance romance trope is one of my favorites and it played well here. I like how both characters were actually aware of their issues (trust issues) and were trying to solve it even though communication was kinda hard to grasp between them. I'll be making a series review for this once book 5 is out so I won't say much more.


WHAT I'M CURRENTLY READING

LOVE HER OR LOSE HER  
(Hot & Hammered, #2) by Tessa Bailey   

I'm supposed to be reading Every Other Weekend but the moment this got released, I had to have it. AND READ IT. I mean, I've been waiting for Dominic and Rosie's book since Fix Her Up. I've been curious about their relationship too and what's going to happen to their marriage.

So far, I'm interested.. but I won't put my expectations too high yet since this one started rocky for me. We'll see.


WHAT I'M ABOUT TO READ

FEARLESS KING
(Kings of Rittenhouse, #4) by Maya Hughes

I know I said I was supposed to read Every Other Weekend but I also said I was reading Maya Hughes' book and since 4 books were already out for her Rittenhouse Series and I just had a reading-marathon with the first three books, I was supposed to pick this one up next. However, I was having a problem syncing my Amazon account with my Kindle and welp, some of my books weren't showing.

BUT IT'S RESOLVED NOW SO WE GOOD.

I have an awful lot of stuff going on with my life right now besides catching up with reading and blogging. I'm currently designing some things (one is for work and the other is for some bookish Instagram thing) at the moment it's why I'm kind of inactive in replying/commenting on your posts.

Another reason is because of school. I HATE MY CURRENT SCHEDULE. We get dismissed from Tuesday to Friday at 6PM (classes start at 8AM for me). I suddenly have a Saturday class AGAIN because one of my profs got another class at another university with the same schedule as ours so she can't be in two places at once. I really thought I finally have Saturday off for this semester but guess not. A big reason why I need the whole Saturday free is because we have A LOT of major subjects and most of them require so much time (editing, designing, all the plates I keep talking about here you name it). I'm just glad this is a minor subject but... ALDFJLAKFL *continues to smash keyboard* I have so many appointments (not school-related) on Saturdays and I don't know how to I'll be able to manage all of them yet.

Are you all well?
How's your Wednesday?
What are your anticipated books and your WWW?


9 comments:

  1. Mexican Gothic sounds good! I loved the Maya Hughes books, and want to read Love Her or Lose her. Great post!
    Check out my Wednesday post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get my hands on Mexican Gothic and featured it a few weeks back. Looks like you're reading some great books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hockey romance? Did someone say hockey romance? I’ve not heard of Maya Hughes before but I’m about to hit up Goodreads and check out this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mexican Gothic sounds amazing! Ruthless Kings sounds like a good one and I hope you enjoy it.

    My CWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Love Her or Lose Her. I am trash for couples with a lot of history, and these two have tons! Dominick was complicated and he really was speaking his "love language" to Rosie the whole time. I liked it a lot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...I never heard of Mexican Gothic before. Sounds interesting! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover for Mexican Gothic is awesome! Hope you enjoy it.

    Ruthless King is one of those that I like the sound of it but find the cover weird... His body shape is disproportionate or something! Probably just the angle but it annoys my brain, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an absolutely stunning cover for Mexican Gothic! I haven't heard of any of these tonight. Hope you enjoy them.

    Ash @ JennReneeRead

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the covers, they are utterly gorgeous. I am intrigued by Mexican Gothic. Maybe I will get it soonish.

    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete