A DECADE IN FILM: My Favorites From 2010-2019

I'm a film enthusiast by heart and it's been that way since I was a kid. I've been exposed to the world of cinema from a young age and it stayed with me until today. And because the decade's about to be over, here I am listing my favorite movies from 2010-2019.

Some little notes:

  • These aren't ranked 
  • Yes, some of these are mainstream/overrated maybe but well, I love them
  • I have a deep love for cinematography
  • I've watched and enjoyed a lot of movies from 2017-2019 but I just picked the ones that stood out to me the most
  • I have loved a lot of Pixar's films through the years but I won't be including them here since I already did a post about it

Films that aren't on this list that I haven't watched yet but I have a feeling I will love:

  • Knives Out (2019) directed by Rian Johnson
  • The Lighthouse  (2019) directed by Robert Eggers
  • The Farewell (2019) directed by Lulu Wang
  • Roma (2018) directed by Alfonso Cuaron
  • BlacKkKlansman (2018) directed by Spike Lee
  • Vox Lux (2018) directed by Brady Corbet
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post (2018) directed by Desiree Akhavan
  • 万引き家族 (Shoplifters) (2018) directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda
  • 버닝 (Burning) (2018) directed by Lee Chang-dong
  • Heneral Luna (General Luna) (2015) directed by Jerrold Tarog

Excluding in this list:

  • Documentaries
  • Short films


( 2010 )

 
Black Swan directed by Darren Aronofsky (Drama, Horror, Thriller)
Inception directed by Christopher Nolan (Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi)

( 2011 )

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 directed by David Yates (Adventure, Fantasy)

( 2012 )

N/A lol.. I tried to remember what movie I ever loved that was released this year whether it was local or foreign but nope, NOTHING. NONE. No movie was memorable enough for me this year.

( 2013 )

  
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire directed by Francis Lawrence (Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi)
Gravity directed by Alfonso Cuarón (Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller)
Her directed by Spike Jonze (Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi)

( 2014 )

  
The Grand Budapest Hotel directed by Wes Anderson (Comedy, Drama)
Gone Girl directed by David Fincher (Drama, Mystery, Thriller)
Love, Rosie directed by Christian Ditter (Comedy, Drama, Romance)

( 2015 )

  
Room directed by Lenny Abrahamson (Drama, Thriller)
Carol directed by Todd Haynes (Drama, Romance)
The Witch directed by Robert Eggers (Horror, Mystery)

( 2016 )

   
君の名は。(Your Name.) directed by Makoto Shinkai (Animation, Drama, Romance)
Birdshot directed by Mikhail Reid (Drama, Mystery, Thriller)
Moonlight directed by Barry Jenkins (Drama)
The Handmaiden directed by Park Chan-Wook (Drama, Romance, Thriller)

( 2017 )

     
 
The Shape of Water directed by Guillermo del Toro (Drama, Fantasy, Romance)
Lady Bird directed by Greta Gerwig (Comedy, Drama)
Get Out directed by Jordan Peele (Horror, Mystery, Thriller)
Loving Vincent directed by Dorota Kobiela, Hugh Welchman (Animation, Drama, Myster(
Logan directed by James Mangold (Action, Drama, Sci-Fi)
Phantom Thread directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (Drama, Romance)

( 2018 )

    
   
The Favourite directed by Yorgos Lanthimos (Drama, History)
Zimna wojna (Cold War) directed by Paweł Pawlikowski (Drama, Music, Romance)
Hereditary directed by Ari Aster (Horror, Mystery, Drama)
The Hows of Us directed by Cathy Garcia-Molina (Drama, Romance)
Ocean's 8 directed by Gary Ross (Action, Comedy, Crime, Thriller)
Widows directed by Steve McQueen (Crime, Thriller)
Crazy Rich Asians directed by Jon M. Chu (Comedy, Drama, Romance)
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse directed by Rodney Rothman, Peter Ramsey, Bob Persichetti
(Action, Adventure, Animation, Comedy, Sci-Fi)

( 2019 )

    
    
Midsommar directed by Ari Aster (Drama, Horror, Mystery)
Parasite directed by Bong Joon-ho (Comedy, Thriller)
Ready Or Not directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett (Comedy, Horror, Mystery, Thriller)
Ulan (Rain) directed by Irene Villamor (Drama, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance)
Us directed by Jordan Peele (Horror, Mystery, Thriller)
Isa Pa, With Feelings (One More Time, With Feelings) directed by Prime Cruz (Drama, Romance)
Portrait de la jeune fille en feu (Portrait of a Lady on Fire) directed by Céline Sciamma (Drama, Romance, History)
Booksmart directed by Olivia Wilde (Comedy, Drama)
Little Women directed by Greta Gerwig (Drama, History, Romance)
Hustlers directed by Lorene Scafaria (Comedy, Crime, Drama)


I'd probably watch some of the movies in my haven't watched list after this post is up and before the year ends but I'm not sure if it's guaranteed. It's why I decided to just publish this one.

Making this list reminds me to update my Letterboxd account (which I completely abandoned)...


5 comments:

  1. I have been really put off by hollywood people, and have not seen many films in the past decade. I did see HP and the Hunger Games, because my daughter was still home then, and she loves movies and TV. I read most of those movies, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've seen two movies from all your lists. LOL I'm not a big movie person (it's been well over a year since I even went to a theater). But I have seen the HP and Hunger Games movies that you listed. I should probably watch Love Rosie just so I can drool over Sam Claflin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Rosie was such a beautiful movie with so much angst and slow-burn 😭😭 pretty great performance by Sam and Lily too!

      Delete
  3. I've seen quite a few of the movies on your list but I don't think any of them would make my favourites... Oddly, I haven't seen any of your 2019 picks! Little Women though I'd like to see over the holidays (it releases here in the UK just today).

    ReplyDelete