TTT #10: Books I Enjoyed That Are Outside of My Comfort Zone



My favorite genres are fantasy and romance with the latter being the more favorite. Anywaaaay, I hardly read from these genres but I've been enjoying them lately: YOUNG ADULT THRILLER/MYSTERY and YOUNG ADULT HORROR. For the thriller/mystery, I stuck with the contemporary stories. And I know thriller can also be independent, same with mystery, but I just joined the two together for this list. 




THRILLER/MYSTERY

One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus // HANDS DOWN ONE OF MY FAVORITE READS THIS YEAR. I'm excited for the sequel even though I'm curious of what will happen since the first book kind of wrapped up alright?

Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus // Another one I loved this year! I read this first before of One of Us is Lying. Now this one had me more interested in the YA thriller/mystery genre.

Sadie by Courtney Summers // I'm neutral over this one. I did like some aspects of it but I wasn't just into the story entirely.

There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins // This isn't a favorite but this was a refreshing and kinda surprising (because of the genre) read from Stephanie Perkins' contemporary romance stories.

The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas // I wasn't that fond of this too but it was still engaging at some point in the story.



HORROR

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake // I don't really remember much from this book but I did rate it high.

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke // ONE OF MY FAVORITE COVERS. Look at that typography~ anyway, this was one of the books that got me into YA horror.

A Magic Dark & Bright by Jenny Adams Perinovic // This isn't shelved in horror but I did remember getting scared/crept out when I read this. I don't know what happened but it's been years and there's still no update for the next book.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman // I loved the movie as a kid (wasn't that scary for me) but I just read this book around...two years I ago I think, I forgot.

Slasher Girls & Monster Boys by multiple authors, stories selected by April Genevieve Tucholke // I LOOOVE THIS BOOK! A part of me wants another one of this. The stories were creepy (okay some of them, some stories were just mild) and it lives up to the title. One story in particular was downright disturbing and horrifying for me. List of authors that participated in this book:

  • Stefan Bachmann 
  • Leigh Bardugo 
  • Kendare Blake 
  • A. G. Howard
  • Jay Kristoff 
  • Marie Lu 
  • Jonathan Maberry 
  • Danielle Paige 
  • Carrie Ryan 
  • Megan Shepherd 
  • Nova Ren Suma 
  • McCormick Templeman 
  • April Genevieve Tucholke 
  • Cat Winters



That's all.

What books did you or do you enjoy 
outside of your comfort zone?




13 comments:

  1. I want to read MacManus' novels and Perkins! As for horror, no thank you lol I'm a scaredy cat.
    Genesis @ Whispering Chapters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GEN YOU REALLY SHOULD!! IT'S SUCH AN ENGAGING READ!!
      Lol that's okay 😂

      Delete
  2. Coraline is such a great book! Have you seen the film as well?

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have when I was a kid! Surprisingly, it didn't scare me. And I know a lot of kids-now-adults were scared of it lol

      Delete
  3. Wow, Stephanie Perkins wrote a thriller!? I'm going to have to look into that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised too! It was such a 180 to her cute romance books.

      Delete
  4. I want to read Sadie, but it has such tough subject matter that I've put it off. Coraline I read as an adult and thought, THIS BOOK IS FOR KIDS? It's so darn creepy (but so darn good, too)!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay. You shouldn't force yourself to read/finish a book you're not comfortable :) RIGHT? Not to mention that the illustrations in the book just added more creepiness.

      Delete
    2. Exactly! I'll get to it eventually, I'm sure. Seriously though, but man, I loved it in the end. :)

      Delete
  5. I don't read a lot of mystery/suspense either, but I read all the books you featured, and almost all of them were winners for me. I read next to no horror. I am not a big fan of dark books, so I don't go out of my way for those books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't into horror at first too but then I saw Anna Dressed in Blood in the bookstore and thought "oh why not" and then the rest followed so... here I am.

      Delete
  6. I liked Slasher Girls and Monster Boys, although I don't read too many books in that genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, I think I might read horror like in a form of a short story and not a lengthy one like Stephen King's books. It's why Slasher Girls & Monster Boys really appealed to me because it's an anthology.

      Delete