TTT #08: Cover Redesigns I Loved Or Hated


COVER ART IS IMPORTANT. It's part of marketing that book to the world. I'm ashamed to admit that covers are part of what I consider in a book (well, until I read a good bad despite its ugly cover, that's another story). 



Grisha by Leigh Bardugo

NEUTRAL // I'm already in love with the covers on the left and I thought they're one of the prettiest covers in YA. I was surprised when I saw the covers on the right at the bookstore. I like how colorful they are though but they don't seem to look as nice in picture compared when you see the covers in real life.


Shades of Magic by V.E. Schwab

LOVED // The OG ones aren't that bad. I just love the minimalistic feel of the redesigned ones. I love them utilizing the use of space on the covers. 


The Dark Elements by Jennifer L. Armentrout

LOVED // We thank the cover art lords for the new covers because they are soooo pretty and so much better. Talk about an upgrade.



Across the Universe by Beth Revis

HATED // Hate is too much of a strong word but I went with it anyway. I haven't read this series and I had this in my Goodreads TBR for so long until I removed it because I don't have this desire to read it anymore but look at the previous covers and the redesigned ones.... *sigh* the change also happened before the last book was released.


Summer by Jenny Han

LOVED // Just look how pretty and colorful they are! And it really does feel summery. It's so simple though but for me, the colors made it work. I've read this series a long time ago and I forgot about it already. 


The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

NEUTRAL // I don't know. I like how the new covers look colorful and they got Alec and Izzy but I also like how the old covers actually connect with the story? Like Clace in CoLS, Seb and Clary in CoHF... but eh. I don't really feel much about the change. Maybe I just feel nostalgic with the old covers.. I don't know, I'll take both anyway. 



The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

HATED // Okay but why....



Well that's about it. 
So, what redesigned covers do you love or hate?



10 comments:

  1. The Dark Elements is a great improvement. The original covers wouldn't call my attention. The Mortal Instruments made my list as well, though to me it felt like a great change. Idk, I just don't like the original covers. The reason why The Winner's Curse needed a redesign is a mystery to me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your opinions! The Shades of Magic redesigns are BREATHTAKING. It's so sad when a cover redesign gets worse though :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grisha and Shades of Magic, I love both the OG and the redesigns! For Dark Elements, I love those new ones! I LOVE SUMMER REDESIGN!!! It captures the story better!
    I'm also neutral on TMI. I love both! They shouldn't have touched The Winner's Curse!
    Genesis @ Whispering Chapters

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of the redesign of the Across the Universe covers. Speaking as someone who knows nothing about that series, the new covers don't really tell me anything about the characters, plot, or genre. The old ones were much better in that regard.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the redesigns for the V.E. Schwab covers, so nice!

    Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I just noticed that you completed your Goodreads Challenge! Congratulations Chai! I'm so proud of you :)

    Second, i totally agree with all of your choices and rulings. I absolutely do not like the new covers for The Winners Trilogy. It just... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The latest Dark Elements covers are a HUGE improvement! The old covers were just cringey. I never made it past the first book in the Across the Universe trilogy but even so, I much preferred the original covers. The newer ones were just... ugly. There, I said it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many of these have been popping up quite a bit, but one I really agree with you on is TMI covers. Many people like the new covers better (there was ll that drama with the naked torso), but both versions are lovely in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you on Shades of Magic (well, a lot of them). I don't really care for the first three covers of The Mortal Instruments and thought it was an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo, I agree with you on all of these. I'm pretty neutral to TMI's cover change because I collect them anyways and the series is special to me. NOTHING gets me heated like the Winner's Trilogy cover change. I swear, I flinch every time I see it! I included it on mine as well and I was like YIKES, YIKES, YIKES.

    ReplyDelete