Review: STORM AND FURY by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Title: Storm and Fury
Series: The Harbinger, #1
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication Date: June 11, 2019
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon
Rating: ★★★★★ (5 stars)
Eighteen-year-old Trinity Marrow may be going blind, but she can see and communicate with ghosts and spirits. Her unique gift is part of a secret so dangerous that she’s been in hiding for years in an isolated compound fiercely guarded by Wardens—gargoyle shape-shifters who protect humankind from demons. If the demons discover the truth about Trinity, they’ll devour her, flesh and bone, to enhance their own powers.

When Wardens from another clan arrive with disturbing reports that something out there is killing both demons and Wardens, Trinity’s safe world implodes. Not the least because one of the outsiders is the most annoying and fascinating person she’s ever met. Zayne has secrets of his own that will upend her world yet again—but working together becomes imperative once demons breach the compound and Trinity’s secret comes to light. To save her family and maybe the world, she’ll have to put her trust in Zayne. But all bets are off as a supernatural war is unleashed…

It’s been SO LONG since I’ve read a Jennifer L. Armenrout book and this year of 2019 is the year I finally picked up one again. And wow, how I missed the world of her writing. I am

Storm and Fury is the first book in JLA’s new series The Harbinger. It’s a spin-off to her other series The Dark Elements. Now, I haven’t read The Dark Elements yet and it’s because of the fact that it has a love triangle in it. I mean, it’s pretty obvious from when you read the summary of the first book. I wanted to read that series ever since it came out but I’m just not strong enough to deal with a love triangle. However, now that I started this series, I feel like I can read its prequel series knowing who the heroine ends up with. The struggle to pick sides will always be the hardest whenever I’m face-to-face with a love triangle because sometimes, I just don’t want to pick Character A over Character B when I know they also deserve love.




I have A LOT to say about this book but I don’t know where to begin. The world of gargoyles, demons, angels, witches, and ghosts that JLA created is really unique. I mean… gargoyles? Gargoyles as Wardens? That kind of concept is so rare in fantasy. And since I haven’t read TDA, I’m glad JLA was able to explain the whole concept of each species/group of characters so clearly that one can read this independently. Unless of course you want to know the history of some characters so you have to pick up TDA. But, the important parts of the book can actually stand on their own to hold The Harbinger independent from its predecessor.

Now, the characters. I LOVE TRINITY LYNN MARROW. How much? To quote Khalid from the duology The Wrath and the Dawn, “from the stars, to the stars” that’s how much I love her. Seriously, new favourite heroine added to my list. I admire her physical strength, her fierce love for those she care about, her loyalty, her wit and humor, her ability and how she’s actually powerful, but above all, I love her strength to carry on with life despite having retinitis pigmentosa—a genetic disorder that damages your eyesight and can cause blindness in the future. JLA also suffers RP and she put that part of herself in Trinity (best to read her Author’s Note) to tell everyone that despite this disability, you just have to live life to the best of your abilities. There’s this scene where Trinity was explaining to Zayne about her condition and the question “Can you see the stars? Right now? came up.


“At my last appointment, about a year ago, my eye doctor asked if I could still see the stars at night. It was weird when he asked, because I had to think about it and I realized I couldn’t answer the question,” I admitted. “I hadn’t looked up at the stars in, like, forever, and it sort of hit me, you know? That one day I would look up and I wouldn’t see a star, and that would be it. I’d never be able to see something so… beautiful and simple again. Up until that moment, I’d taken that for granted. So, every night, I look up to see if I can see stars.”

This part just felt so bittersweet and personal because when I was reading this, I was teary-eyed because I can feel her struggle. And this got so much sadder when I reached the end of the book and read JLA’s note. In the end, I’m thankful that the author shared this part of her life with her readers through her character. It was sweet though when she asked Zayne if the sky was full of stars and he replied "It is, but the only ones that matter are the ones you see." MY HEART.

Speaking of Zayne. Umm, I love him? I don't know what his personality is in TDA but in this series, I LOVE HIM. He's sweet, caring, and just have enough sarcasm and wit to fire back. I love how he's there for Trinity and despite them not getting along during the first meeting, distrust and strangeness in the air, they managed to be comfortable around each other to the point where he finally opened up some parts of his past that was probably hard enough for him to let out. Slowly throughout the story, their friendship and trust in each other built up and I can't wait for the next book to read more of this build-up. THEIR CHEMISTRY? AMAZING. But with the things that happened, I'm about to deal with the angst. Well, I welcome the pain anyway.

Overall, this book was really enjoyable and page-turning. I'm happy to be introduced to this world and its characters. I can't wait for more of them.


for the stars and the bacon,


No comments:

Post a Comment