Review: ONE OF US IS LYING by Karen M. McManus



Title: One of Us Is Lying
Series: One of Us Is Lying, #1
Author: Karen M. McManus
Publication Date: May 30, 2017
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Thriller/Mystery
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon
Rating: ★★★★ (4.5)
Pay close attention and you might solve this.

On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention.

Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule.
Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess.
Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing.
Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher.
And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High's notorious gossip app.

Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention, Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn't an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he'd planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who's still on the loose?

Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them.


I'm someone who gets intrigued with true-crime cases that I usually end up watching documentaries about it on TV and on YouTube. Young Adult Thriller/Mystery books are also a genre I'm recently in to. I haven't read much books in said genre but after reading two of Karen M. McManus' books, I got hooked. I AM TWO YEARS LATE BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER. There's this thrill and mind-game of guessing who's the suspect and why did they do it. And that's exactly what happened when I was reading One of Us Is Lying.

One of Us Is Lying was the second book by Karen M. McManus that I've read after reading her recent release Two Can Keep a Secret. That book was actually the one that got me hooked into the thriller/mystery genre in YA. So I decided to check this book out (OOUIL) since a lot of people from my Goodreads and Twitter timeline were talking about it during the span of its release. And I just found out that both books have the same author.



I enjoyed the ride and flow of the story. I've formed a bond with these four characters despite not knowing who might be the criminal among them. I had to piece stuff or events that seem suspicious because I was eager to know who did the crime. It actually made me nervous because from the book's title, you'd be wondering whether they're telling the truth or not, and it's hard because each one of them is just interesting that I really did end up being fond of them. And while the story goes and it got intense with all the interrogations and clues, my heart was kind of breaking because I felt bad because I didn't want them behind bars. So yeah, it was just disheartening and that's why I loved the book. It's the kind that keeps you on the edge and also has you solving the mystery. And I have to say that I'm quite proud of myself because I actually did form a theory while the case was going on and my hunch was right.


I also found out that there's going to be a sequel but with different characters but the mystery is still connected to the first book, AND I'M SO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. 




a satisfied reader,


No comments:

Post a Comment