Review: A FIVE-MINUTE LIFE by Emma Scott



Title: A Five-Minute Life
Author: Emma Scott
Publication Date: May 18, 2019
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon
Rating: ★★★★ (4 stars)
Remember us...when I can't.
Thea Hughes has five minutes to live.
A car accident stole her parents and left her with the second-worst documented case of amnesia in the world. She now has only minutes of experiences, of consciousness, of life…before her memory is wiped clean. The once effervescent artist with a promising future is reduced to scribbling with pens and paper, living an empty, quiet life, three hundred seconds at a time.
Jim Whelan is on autopilot.
A foster kid shuffled around the system since birth, he’s lived his entire life without knowing love…and it’s taken its toll—until he learned to fight back, carry his armor, and keep his head down.
Working as an orderly in the Blue Ridge Sanitarium, deep in Virginia countryside, Jim looked up…and found Thea.
When Thea has the chance to break free of her five-minute prison with a risky, experimental surgery, it could lead them both to an epic love they never thought possible… or one that could require the ultimate sacrifice.

I haven't read much of Emma Scott's books but I have five (including this oneof her books in my e-reader. I've only read three: this one, Forever Right Now, and In Harmony. I do plan on reading more of this author's books though because I liked In Harmony and I appreciated the theatre more and more. Forever Right Now was the first book I read and it's a favorite. I don't know how many times I've reread it. My heart was just bursting with love, hope and pain reading that book.

A Five-Minute Life was immediately on my TBR tower because the summary sounded really interesting. I was reading it and thought "this sounds like 50 First Dates" until I got to the end and it said there that it was inspired by the movie (there was another movie too but I forgot the title). 

I have zero information/idea regarding neurology other than the fact that it deals with the nervous system. We did discuss this in college when I was still a Biology major but I didn't pay attention much, sadly. But I did trust that the author did her research about amnesia, and she did mention it in her note on what the real facts in this book were and the made-up ones as well when it comes to conditions and procedures. I appreciate Emma Scott for this.




The story was indeed another heartbreaking one for me. Thea's five-minute memory span was just terribly sad to read. It hurt reading about this talented woman who's got a future ahead of her being stuck in a five-minute memory lane. It hurt more when Jim was the only one who was so positive that there's still hope for her because the negativity that surrounded her in that facility was a weight I had to endure as a reader throughout the book. I was really happy though that Jim was determined to help her and was her pillar through it all because he believed in her.

And speaking of Jim, I appreciate the author for giving light on people who have stuttering issues. I relate to that because I also do have it. It's something that I feel embarrassed and even frustrated when talking because it just lowers down my self-esteem. But I learn to deal with it through time. Jim has my heart for wanting to help kids who also have the same problems. It's another thing,aside from Thea's amnesia recovery, that gives you hope, and admiration for Jim.

Overall, this was still worth reading and it put a smile on my face and hope in my heart. The angst was truly heavy and thank you Emma Scott for that.

ART CHANGES EVERYTHING. Not entirely but yeah. I don't wanna get spoiler-y anyway.



feeling teary-eyed but smiling,


No comments:

Post a Comment